Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tips and Tricks for Mission Papers

This is the first step of the process, and it can seem a little scary at first! 
I made a million trips to the doctors office, a few calls from the bishop, and one from the Mission Call office, and I finally got my call! But don’t worry, your bishop is there to guide you through the process! I wish I had known what to expect, so here are a few questions answered, and tips to make it easier:


How long did it take to complete your papers?
It took me about 3 months to get my papers in. A lot of this was because I had decided to turn them in through my home ward, and I did all my medical examinations through my doctors at home. That meant a lot of trips home. But some kids have gotten their stuff together in 7 days, it just depends on the situation. My bishop said he usually likes to get papers going about 6 months beforehand so that there isn’t any rush – I think that’s good counsel.

How long did it take to get your call?
It took me about 2 weeks to get my call, and another half before I could finally open it. 2 weeks seems to be the norm, but as always there are exceptions: like that guy who got it in 4 days, or the other girl who waited 3 months. Again, it all depends on the situation.

Tips for your papers:

Get it done in one shot.
You can fill these papers out in a Sunday afternoon with your parents by your side. Print out all the medical forms, and be prepared to make all your appointments on Monday.

Get your wisdom teeth out. Today!
My dentist let me slide, and said I could turn in my papers without getting them out, as long as I promised I would do it before I go. I did have a friend, however, who had to get them out before she could turn her papers in. So, I say just get them out as soon as possible.

Bring your shots record to the doctors.
I didn’t bring mine with me, and that meant another trip to the doctors. Bring it with, so you can get caught up on all of your shots on the first trip.

Medical Questionnaire.
You can make this as painful as possible. Or you can use common sense. I chose the latter. It asks if you have problems with ingrown toenails. They aren’t asking if you have ever had an ingrown toenail. You don’t need to right about the time your toenail fell of when you were 3 years old. They just need to know if it’s a recurring problem, because, guess what? They will tell you to fix it.

Fix it Yourself.
If you do have problems with ingrown toenails, or any other simple thing like that, talk with your doctor about it on your first visit and get the treatment going.

If you have a special medical issue…
I have severe ankle issues, and I didn’t get as detailed as I should have been on the medical form. This meant extra trips to the bishop’s office, and a call from the Mission Office to get things clarified. Which meant delays on my call being assigned. There is an option for you to include documents pertaining to your condition. Include them. Describe your condition as detailed as possible – you don’t want to leave them guessing.

Be Honest.
If you do have a severe condition, don’t lie about it. First of all, it’s for your safety. Second of all, you probably will be able to serve, they just need to know what mission to put you in. Because of my ankle issues, the doctor from the Mission Department said, “I will recommend a driving mission, but we will see what the brethren say.” It’s usually not a question about IF you will serve, but WHERE you will serve.

Stake President Interview.
My stake president was awesome! He took down my phone number, and promised to text me whenever the status on my call changed. A lot of my friends wanted to ask, but didn’t want to bug their Stake President about it. So, just ask him to text you (or email, if he isn’t quite that tech savvy ;)) with any updates. Leaves the guessing game out!

Get excited!
This is when it really starts to feel real. You have been making plans for so long, and now it’s really happening! Enjoy every minute of it, and start telling people about it. Satan is going to start applying pressure, and the more people that know, the more people to support you.



Any mission paper veterans want to share their tips? Leave them in the comments below, I would love to hear what you learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment